Thursday, March 3, 2011

Swimming, Biking and Running His Way Off Meds


Three months ago I saw my personal physician and was started on three medications, two for high blood pressure and one for high LDL levels, the bad lipids. It was that day that I applied for the CNN Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge and decided that I needed to make a change in my life towards healthier living.
My family history is strong for hypertension on my dad’s side of the family. It was no surprise that I would have problems as well. For years I had had borderline hypertension, even medicated for a couple years. When I lost a few pounds the BP improved and I was able to come off medications. Over the years the weight came back and the high blood pressure returned. When I saw my primary care provider in November my blood pressure was 140/98. That is the highest that it has ever been and I was promptly started on my medications.
One of my goals of the challenge was to get fit and get off my medications. On medications my BP improved to 120/70, but I wanted to be at that level without medications. I started exercising an hour 4-5 times a week. I could see and feel the weight coming off and hoped that the blood pressure would start to improve. After this routine for a couple months I had a couple episodes of lightheadedness. I am not the best at drinking water while working out so I thought that it was because I wasn’t getting enough fluids in. I started drinking more water with exercise. Then one morning I bent down to tie my son’s basketball shoes, stood up and almost fainted. Could my blood pressure have improved that much with only a couple months of routine exercise? I went in to the clinic the following Monday and my BP was 90/60! Goodbye medication #1! I always knew that my blood pressure was weight dependent, but didn’t think that it would respond so quickly and dramatically.
I am happy to report that the lightheadedness has resolved and my BP was 116/68 at last check. However, I am still on one blood pressure medication. My goals haven’t changed; I still want to get off that second medication and will continue to work hard and eat healthier and hope that by August 7, the day of the Nautica New York City Triathlon, I will be off all of my medications.

No comments:

Post a Comment